Quick and Easy "Macro Bowl" with Shrimp
When it comes to cooking, I'm not much of an extravagant recipe creator, so the simpler the better (in my opinion). My cooking style really just consists of buying a bunch of nutritious ingredients and concocting them together in different ways. Most days, I'm generally pressed for time, so having the ingredients on hand to throw something together quickly is key.
If you've been to any of the trendy healthy eating spots lately that are popping up around cities, you've probably seen various forms of "macro bowls." Typically, they'll include some type of protein, rice/grains, veggies, and a special sauce.. pretty much what you'd expect in a healthy, balanced meal.
I've been throwing together my own versions and wanted to share the quick recipe .. more on the way! This meal literally took me about 15 minutes (if that) to throw together, so time is no excuse!
- 1 cup shredded cabbage blend
- 1 sliced tomato
- 1/2 sliced avocado
- 1/2 cup organic pinto beans
- 5-6 pieces of baby shrimp
- sprinkle of GoVeggie Lactose Free cheddar shreds
- 2 tbsp Whole Foods Market Oil Free Avocado Vinaigrette
- Sprinkle of mixed sesame seeds
- Add cabbage to the base of the bowl.
- Heat beans on stove over medium-high heat. (I'll occasionally buy the organic beans in cans, but if buying in bulk, it helps to soak them overnight to reduce the cooking time).
- Add the beans to the bowl on top of the cabbage.
- Steam the shrimp in a small cooking pan with water. While shrimp is heating, slice the tomato and avocado and set aside for the top of the bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients, sprinkle the cheddar shreds and sesame seeds, and drizzle the avocado vinaigrette. Enjoy!